Thursday, September 20, 2012

Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. ~Author Unknown



I have my Army ½ in Ottawa on Sunday. It is perhaps the coolest ½ I like to do as the crowds are awesome and seeing some of the participant’s run/walk/and pedal despite horrific physical disabilities is truly inspiring. Gives you pause to think about what you have as opposed to what you don’t have.

As I have mentioned before, I am doing this run as part of my training for my County Marathon in October.

So here is the quandary…..do I go all out   “or”  do I back it down and just go at an easy pace?

This debate has been going on in my head for the last week or so as my training runs have been awesome. The temperatures have been cooler and I popped off a 14.12 miler last Saturday in just over 2 hours with 1 days rest and refueling with only water. I followed that up on Sunday with a 7 miler at 37 seconds a mile faster than Saturday….fairly close to my ½ PB race pace.

I promised myself after my last marathon that the new goal would be to finish “and” finish healthy. I cannot and WILL NOT go through 6-8 weeks of IT Band issues again. Once was enough. In fact, I will walk to whole damn thing than force the issue again.

So, will going all out affect my training for the County M? I have 3 weeks between races and will be tapering down in about a week and bit after anyways…..so is it a big deal?

I am competitive by nature but only to better myself. I am looking at the race weather and it will be cool (good) with rain (good & bad). My IT issues were from the humidity and hydrating which I don’t think will be a factor.

What would you do?

(BTW – I am quietly stubborn and will solicit advice but will do what I feel like on race day…and that’s the fact Jack!!!)

3 comments:

Kate said...

If you're feeling that good AND your marathon goal is to finish and finish healthy rather than any kind of time goal, I'd totally race the half. Of course, I'm known for doing dumb stuff, so take that as you will. :)

Sounds like training is going great. Nice!

Kovas Palubinskas said...

I say go for it and back off at any signs of discomfort.

Coy Martinez said...

I'm with Kovas!