Thursday, July 26, 2012

Holidays start Friday at 4


Still alive but battling a calf injury that was bothering me before I went to Manitoba for my last 1/2.

I finally broke down and went and got some help from an awesome bone cracker (chiropractor) here who deals with a ton of sports injuries. The best part of going to see him was getting told to just ease back on the running (cut in 1/2) and listen to my body. Luckily, I was also able to bike all I wanted and have gotten some serious time in the saddle and racked up some miles and some callus's.




Apparently I tore some stabilizer muscle(s) in my right calf. The treatment included acupuncture (a first and now off the bucket list) with some electrical treatment and massage with some Marquis de Sade looking torture instruments.

I asked how people feel about the treatment and rehab? His reply was no surprise, athletes suck it up and ask how fast they can get back to running or biking and the others cry and complain about the pain and the extra work required to get back to 100%.

My apologies to those who cry and complain. I am not trying to single you out, but hey, suck it up!

So the holidays include an 11 km race, Dragon Boat racing, a golf tourney, a Duathlon and perhaps a day or two on the beach as well as cocktails by the pool.....and little recovery runs along the way

Enjoy your summer...

3 comments:

Johann said...

Glad it's nothing too serious and you just sucked it up, awesome! Busy holiday ahead for you, enjoy!

Coy Martinez said...

You had me at "cocktails by the pool". Wait, I'm sorry, is something wrong with your leg???? ;)

Kate said...

My attitude towards being hurt did a total 180 after I started running and biking. I went from spending the entire day tearful and a little shell-shocked after falling on a path at Bryce Canyon and getting scraped up to getting back on my bike and riding another 54 miles after falling and banging the hell out of my elbow. IT's just a whole differend mindset.