Sunday, June 17, 2012

Manitoba Marathon Report, everybody comes home!

Hi all, first post from the iPhone. Finished the Manitoba marathon 1/2 in 3 hours and 20+ minutes, 163/163 for age group. Had a blast, walked all the way with my new buddy after his buddy did the national anthem on harmonica. #2 son did the 10 k walk and then hung around with the new friends family and friends. Lunch was at earl's with everybody getting everybody's version of last years event. The short version for those who don't know, I ran with the fellow I did CPR on last year at this same race. It was full circle and I did real good on the fawcetts till his 12 year old son gave me a hug as we entered the the stadium for the last bit of the walk. Pretty emotional as that was the first time I met him and then shortly after met buddy's wife. We got few funny looks of the course as these two guys were dressed in fancy shoes and all the toys just walked all the way. He did not want to get a. Ap from the pacemaker so we just had a great walk. He told me it was one of his best 1/2's and probably one of his best fathers day ever. Met his sister and brother inlaw and got hugs from all and friends too. Quite a day to say the least. Best part of the day is when 2 told me after brunch how proud he was of me for doing what I did after. I was pretty proud of him too for his maturity and attitude this weekend. He is a fine young man as is his brother and no dad could ever ask for more. Hope all had a great fathers day and if a certain Minnesota follower of mine is still following my blog, congrats on your 2nd in age group in Winnipeg this weekend...great job and you absolutely killed it J..sorry I did not get a chance to meet you!!!!! Home on Tuesday,then the serious traing starts!! Time to get those extra lbs off!!

4 comments:

Kate said...

What an amazing day it must have been for you. And no better Father's Day gift than seeing your children grow into people you're proud of and having them be proud of you too.

Caroline said...

Shawn...wow...Ok First Happy Father's Day to you my Canadian Friend.

This made me cry. Yep that got me. I can imagine all the emotions..and how grateful that family is.

You got the best father's day gift from your son..I am happy for you.

Now where are the pictures?! come on now!

Char said...

I remember that post from last year and was incredibly moved by it. THis year's post was even more moving. To walk the whole way with a man who could have died except for your (and many others I'm sure) actions must have been an incredible experience for both of you.

Jenn said...

Ha ha!! Still Following:) Sounds like you had a GREAT Father's Day! Such a cool story. Loved reading about it!!!

I was pacing my cousin to a potential sub 1:40. We split at about mile 12 but he still finished in 1:38 with a 4 minute PR!!! Woohoo! Never anticipated the AG but I'll take it:)