Thursday, May 10, 2012

One may go a long way after one is tired. ~French Proverb

I have dragged my sore(y) arse out of bed for the last 4 out of 5 mornings at 5:30 am and put some tired miles in.

What's a tired mile you ask?

Well, it's miles first thing in the morning after a previous nights bike ride (hence the sore arse) with no fueling before or during the run.

Why?

I have found during any type of race, "my" biggest challenge is mental. And as the runs get longer, the war between myself and the Alter Ego (AE) becomes huge. AE the naysayer was hiding for awhile but has come back full force since I started tired miles again.

AE: Go back to bed man, it's 5:30 in the am

Me: Got to do it, the pain is worth the gain

AE: Dumbass...or should I say soreass. If you listened to me, you'd wouldn't be squirming, trying to find a spot that doesn't hurt when you sit

Me: Bye Bye AE, gotta run 

On a happy note, I have dropped below 200 lbs for the first time since last summer. After hurting the ITB, I took solace in the fridge.....that, I am happy to say has stopped and I also cut out all snacking in the evening. Beer, by the way, is not a snack. When the monks fast, they can still drink beer. And if that's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Enjoyed getting back on the bike again. Will take a few more rides to get the callus's on the butt built up but it will be worth it. I know one is not supposed to worry about weight (look at the inches...right) but it is a nice measure of the effort I am putting in these days.....and lighter is faster.

On a sad note, I am off to a funeral today. A former colleague and mentor passed away from lung cancer last week. When he was first diagnosed, he was given 6 months. He made it 3 1/2 years. Unfortunately for me, I let politics get in the way of our friendship for about 3 years or so. It was a bad time at work and sadly, I took a stance that was 180 degrees different than his. I have no regrets about this because it is healthy to have differing viewpoints......and the last time I talked to him, Remembrance Day 2011, my 2nd son was on parade with Cadets. He was ex Air Force himself and was tickled that my son was taking part in the ceremonies. He then mentioned that he still remembered when our 1st son was born and of how proud I was. He had access to a colour printer (a big deal at that time) and I had my newborn son's picture on disk. He printed up a picture for me as I was away from home for 4 weeks with just a jpeg. I still have that paper picture of my son. I am so glad he reminded me of that day. It made all the bad between us dissolve and we buried the hatchet. I am a better person and Instructor for knowing him. Thanx Brian.

Finally, speaking of tired miles, Southern Ontario has been swamped with a ton of these guys. Admiral butterflies were pushed north in a big wind from Texas. I was lucky to get some great pictures of this one as he followed me around, landed on my shoe and stayed still for his portrait. For whatever reason, I love their erratic flight-paths and will to get to wherever they are going, even if they don't know where that is....maybe we are kindred spirits?

 




5 comments:

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Sometimes on the bike I wonder why I run, but ultimately they are just such different miles that I have to do it.

misszippy said...

Now I know what kind of butterflies those are! We have them all over our backyard right now.

Like your alter ego battles--sounds to me like you're winning. Good deal!

Michelle said...

Good job on cutting out the snacking! That's a tough one. ' Beer, by the way, is not a snack." Amen!!! Red wine isn't a snack either. It's like grapes, it's fruit.

Sorry for your loss -- glad you have those memories.

Coy Martinez said...

That's an awesome butterfly!! I heard that they're suppose to be good luck ya know!

I hear ya on the tired miles. I've run some of those myself. They always seem to come on a midweek morning run when I would rather be in bed :)

Jill said...

The butterfly is so pretty...they are amazing creatures; I'm always captured by them if I see one out on a run (and I'm not gagging on a lung or something).

Nice job conquering those tired miles...and the weight!!! Keep being strong :).