Tuesday, April 24, 2012

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf. ~Jon Kabat-Zinn

Box of stuff to go through today

Big discussion here these days about ebikes. The owners of these vehicles love to drive them on our Waterfront Trail. It is used by runners, cyclists, families out for a stroll, etc...A few of the big issues I have are their speed and silence. Nothing scares the hell out of you worse than one of these suckers whistling by you at 25-30 mph with zero warning. I don't think I would want to be a parent out with a stroller having to deal with that. 

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....have you seen the latest obesity rates for Canada and the United States? 1 in 4 Canadians and  1 in 3  Americans are clinically obese...and it's rising. I wonder if there is any correlation to ebike sales?

I am far from perfect...I have fallen off the food ledge several times in the last few months but have finally decided to go back to moderation as a solution. Having a  high blood pressure measurement will do that to you......and when you record your weight after every run, it's even more motivation. I also know my ITB issues last summer had to do with my "I run, I can eat whatever I want attitude!"...FAIL, does not work like that.

Speaking of high blood pressure, probably had something to do with this years NHL playoff reffing. Worst I have seen in years. No consistency at all, much like my dedication to training at the end of last year. With that being said, my miles and attitude have both seen a marked increase to the positive.

Race this Saturday, "Run for MS".....hope it's nicer weather than yesterday and today. Mind you, I did do the Winterman this February and it's much warmer than that. 3-6 on the slate for today in the wind and the rain.


Have tried to comment on a few blogs but find I am having issues finding the comment button(s). So Coy, way to go on winning your age group at your triathlon....and just because I don't comment on blogs, doesn't mean I don't read them (does that make me a creeper? nasty little word isn't it?)....and quietly thank the stars that I am not the only crazy person on this earth.

Fun to be blogging again. Somewhere along the road I made the realization that everything I write here does not have to be profound or earth shattering.


2 comments:

Coy Martinez said...

Hey Shawn!!! Thanks for the shout out!! I'm surprised I didn't have high blood pressure issues watching the Final Four this year. Yes, I'm a KY fan and although I love for my team to go all the way, it's so damn hard watching all those games and being a coach, cheerleader, fan-atic :) hahahaha!

On Meet the Press this past Sunday, they had the Stanley Cup on. I learned that the top bowl holds 14 cans of beer :)

Kate said...

My high blood pressure is independent of any sports teams. GUess that's not necessarily a good thing. It's much better managed by running than eating, though I'm doing more of the latter than the former.

Good to have you back blogging again!

I bike plenty, and I HATE it when somebody zips by with absolutely no notice. The e-bike thing would make me crazy. And I see those along the same lines as electric scooters for kids--WHY??