Friday, January 6, 2012

Friday Bits

Definition of MARGINALIZE
transitive verb
: to relegate to an unimportant or powerless position within a society or group

Definition of RATIONALIZE
transitive verb
1: to bring into accord with reason or cause something to seem reasonable: as

a : to substitute a natural for a supernatural explanation of <rationalize a myth>

b : to attribute (one's actions) to rational and creditable motives without analysis of true and especially unconscious motives <rationalized his dislike of his brother> ; broadly : to create an excuse or more attractive explanation for <rationalize the problem>



Have you ever been marginalized?

I have been “marginalized” twice in the last week. Once for some actions and once for the type of work I do.

In both cases, the people marginalizing then decided to tell me how they rationalized their thinking. This in turn caused me to label them as idiots and of course, any credibility they may have had with me went South.

I mean, it’s not like I haven’t been marginalized once or twice in my life, who hasn’t? But the arrogance to tell me why is unbelievable. Have these people never learned the golden rule: If you can’t say something nice to someone, don’t say it at all.

So what did I do?

Nothing/Nada/Zip. Smiled and nodded my head. Bobble head Shawn.

Why? Because in my world, they are not the centre of the universe….whereas in their own, they are. That and I absolutely refuse to parry with an unarmed opponent. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Glad I got in 6 ½ miles last night because the forecast is for sloppy weather this weekend…snow/rain/sleet…..which means wet sloppy runs…yippee he yelled in his happiest manner…NOT.

Cold, wet and windy is not my idea of joy. But then again, I could probably marginalize the effect of the weather and some how rationalize running in it!

Have a great weekend….see the Bengals upsetting the Texans and the Falcons coming thru over the Giants.

BTW - Happy 100 posts to me

6 comments:

Jamoosh said...

You only did 6.5? Really? Sheesh.

:-)

In less marginalizing commentary, way to avoid the sloppy weather.

Kate said...

That stinks with the other people, but your attitude is right on. They can treat you how they treat you, but you don't have to accept that judgement. And the gall to tell you this is why you deserve whatever...rude.

Nice miles, btw, and congrats on #100. :)

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Nice going on 100! BTW, we are having completely unwinterlike weather here in the Midwest, Love it!

Andrew Opala said...

Sorry I just read this post. I had more important things to do.

Andrew Opala said...

BTW do people use the going North idiom in Australia and South Africa? Because going South means getting cooler.

2 Slow 4 Boston said...

I'm a little late here, but I guess your football didn't turn out the way you planned :-)

Congrats on post 100. I'm not there yet.

Way to get in the miles before the weather hits.