Monday, December 19, 2011

Go the extra mile. It's never crowded. ~Author Unknown

I had thought I was done with blogging but something has pulled me back. Maybe I do have something to offer and maybe I do need an outlet to voice my opinions and thoughts. Just maybe when I feel like it…. instead of putting myself on a schedule…so look for one out of the blue now and again.

I actually went to my company Christmas party this year, first time in about 8 years.

I was seated with 3 co-workers from the same department but not in the same day to day job. It took all of 5 seconds after being introduced to 1 of the spouses for the “Event” to come up.

For those of you who do not know or have not followed this blog, I was running a ½ marathon in Winnipeg, Manitoba on Fathers day last year when a runner collapsed on the course. I stopped, did a bit of CPR, and then finished my race. Apparently this is not a common thing for a runner to do. All joking aside, it was quite the experience. If you want more detail, check this post.

But back to the party…..

My co-worker who was introducing me made a few confessions while he was introducing;

1. He has always assumed he would never use those skills he learned at first aid so he has always wondered why he should get re-certified every 3 years and

2.  Even with the training, he would still be hesitant to use his skills and

3. He wonders if he would have stopped (I have heard this from many people, they don’t know if they would have stopped) and

4. When he heard the story, he told me he walked a bit taller and prouder as I was a member of “His” department.

I was surprised to say the least. I guess you really don’t know what people think of you sometimes and then they come out and say things you never expected.

 I have made the comment to a few people that I am no longer an anonymous runner.  The “Event” has been covered in the papers, my company newsletter, radio etc. One of those people I said this to, was the runner I did CPR on. He and I talked for about an hour last week. He is a really nice guy who is a runner’s runner. He had done a few sub 3 hr marathons so he was not an unfit runner.  We both know how lucky he is, how all the holes in the Swiss cheese lined up to ensure he is still with us, as sadly, some runners did not make it this year when in the same situation. He is slowly adjusting to a new life. His times are not quite as important to him as they were before. He still runs, albeit slower so the pacemaker doesn’t zap him (and he has had a few zaps). He has also learned to step back a bit and see the bigger picture. He and I and a few others will be running the ½ in Winnipeg in 2012, and we don’t care how long it takes, we will do it for the joy of running.

With that said, I was glad I took it easy at the party. I was out for my Sunday run in -12 °C and sometime during the 6.5 miles, I reached my goal of 1200 miles for the year. Nice to have a goal and I was glad to reach that milestone on such a beautiful sunny crisp morning. I had my doubts a month or so back when I took some time off running to regroup and reload, glad I did.

So I wish you all happy holidays.  And during the craziness of the season when you get cut off, flipped off, told off…..remember what’s really important, Family, Friends and those in need. Go the extra mile, you will never regret it!


4 comments:

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Welcome back and happy holidays!

Kate said...

You know, I never put myself on a schedule with my blog. If I do something I feel like is worthy of writing about, then I write. I definitely find myself getting out of my comfort zone sometimes because it'll make a good blog story, but I need something to make me do that.

And I think it's really cool that you got a chance to see a little of how people see you and see what you did that day...kind of like George Bailey, without the suicidal tendencies. :) It was an amazing thing you did, made more so by the fact that you didn't think twice about doing it. I'll be honest...I'd have been scared to for fear of doing something wrong. You were definitely the right person in the right place. You saved someone's life. That's beyond epic, Shawn. Even after all this time it still amazes me.

Coy Martinez said...

I'm so happy you're back!!

How neat was it that you got to meet that guy and talk to him again!? Each time I hear of a runner in need of medical attention I always get nervous and wonder if it will be me next ya know? I suppose that's normal.

Caroline said...

I am glad you are back also!
It is a good thing that you got to see what people think of what you did. saving a life is huge...of course..who gets to say that the highlight of their year was to save a life..I mean Doctors excluded...

Merry Christmas to you and your family Shawn!