Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Remember, people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions. You may have a heart of gold - but so does a hard-boiled egg. ~Author Unknown

I have hesitated to write this post for awhile (since Fathers Day to be exact). It’s like I have a big secret that I can’t talk about. It probably has a lot to do with how I was raised.

“Do your job the best you can, keep your nose clean, stay out of the limelight, don’t brag, just do.” (thanx Mom & Dad)

Unfortunately, this did not prepare me for what happened at the Manitoba Marathon this past Father’s Day. Let’s start here (your choice, play audio or full story):




Needless to say, the phone started ringing off the hook after that and it led to this (Front Page of the Wpg Sun and then our Local paper):

 
And a few other things……(Just Google me and Marathon and you get the idea).

So why am I writing this? I guess I feel like Forrest Gump when he ran back to save Bubba. He had no intentions of doing anything special or being a Hero, he just had a goal and just kept getting distracted by saving more wounded and eventually ended up a Hero. I have never thought of myself as that either. 

I find “Hero” a strong word and it bothers me when my name is associated with me. I keep thinking about what the comments will be the next time I screw up….”Look what the Hero did today” (I usually imagine that in a snarky voice).

To me, Hero’s are our front line people, our Doctors and Nurses (aka “The Boss”), Police and Firefighters, Soldiers and Veterans and so many others. Perhaps my Mom put it best, much like Forrest’s Mom, she said “Shawn, we did not raise you to deal with this kind of attention, but that family could be planning a funeral today instead of going home!” Mom’s always put things in the right perspective.

So, why did I finally write this post? I think it is a way to get it in the open. It has been on my mind everyday for the last 3 months…so maybe spreading the word will help….because I think everyone has the right to be a Hero. So, I ask you to consider taking a first aid course if you don’t already have one. Learn CPR, hell, just learn to get people doing something. It is very scary seeing a situation develop and dealing with it…..it is even more scary to NOT have any skills to deal with it and feel helpless. I got lucky, the guy lived because everything fell into place…..because the training kicked in and I didn’t think about it.

So hopefully with this off my chest I can get back to a routine life. I don’t know how people can be under the microscope all the time and live their lives?

PS….You cannot imagine how it felt talking to that runner, his wife and his 10 year old son a week later. What a gift!

What the hell do you blog about after that happens? Washing your shoes?

8 comments:

Kate said...

SHAWN!! I'm glad you told us, but I can see how it would've been hard to write. Saving a life is so far beyond the scope of most of our normal lives. What a gift to be able to make a difference in that family's life like that. Must be like when you get a new haircut and you're surprised every time you look in the mirror. Lol.

And just like the everyday heroes, I guess you just keep writing about your everyday normal life...even when it isn't so "everyday normal". Very cool, my friend.

Jamoosh said...

Wow! First, what you did was awesome. Second, your story should prompt everyone to get first aide training or update/refresh their current skill set.

Laura said...

This is just truly amazing...and totally made my day. I have been thinking about getting training and this just solidifies the need.
I say CONGRATS to you for your actions and compassion.

Courtney said...

Wow!! That is fantastic!! Hearing your story gave me goose bumps! Thanks for sharing!!

Christi said...

Great job Shawn!

Coy Martinez said...

Holy cow Shawn!! That's awesome! You saved someone!! I think this is something that should be in Runners World for more people to see! I bet it was great to see his family a week later!! What a blessing!

Char said...

So no PR I'm guessing.

But on a serious side - that's just awesome that you could be there, had the training and could apply it. And I get what you mean about hero status. You just did what needed to be done. But that will make you forever a hero in that man and his family's eyes.

MIchelle said...

I'm so behind on reading blogs, it's embarrassing. However, I HAD TO COMMENT! Seeing that I'm in Winnipeg, and read everything running, I read this article. Had the paper on my desk, showed my brother who is a paramedic for the City of Wpg and also a runner. AND I NEVER MADE THE CONNECTION TO YOUR BLOG!!! You're THAT SHAWN!

Well done.