Thursday, June 23, 2011

Race Report - Manitoba Marathon (1/2)

One of my favorite scenes from the movie "Forrest Gump" is when he gets hauled in front of a microphone to talk about the Vietnam War. As he starts to speak, a pro-vietnam officer pulls the plug on the mic when Forrest starts to talk. At the end of his speech, the mic gets plugged back in and Gump's famous line gets repeated again - "And that's all I have to say about that".


I had a very strange marathon last Sunday/Fathers Day. 


I am so proud of my boys and family. Son "A" did the 10km walk/run in his Elmo shirt and Yankee hat on backwards, finishing by imitating a big bird flappin over the finish line with his "Angel Hair Donation" flying in the wind. He is such a cool dude! 


Son "B" whipped myself and his uncles  with a 1:51 ish for his 1st ever 1/2 Marathon. Pretty impressive for 15. I cut him loose with my Garmin after my knee started giving me grief and I'm glad I did. Man can he fly!!


The "BOSS" had an incident and ended up on crutches 2 days before the deal. She was some pissed but pretty proud of her boys. It was a bittersweet week for her as we attended her Grandpa's funeral which was sad but we did get to see almost all the family on both her and my side.


I have no time for my run? Chip malfunction...which brings me back to perhaps renaming this blog to "Shawn - 1 Chip Only". I kinda know my time but it is no big deal that it's not official.


I had left knee problems again. Not enough recovery time from the Ottawa Marathon would be my guess.


So I will now take a month off running and concentrate on biking and rehabbing the knee for another attempt in October at a full. I will do a duathalon at the end of August and more that likely the Army Run 1/2 in Ottawa again in Sept as training for Oct. Any pain after that one and I will not try a marathon again until next year.


So here's my story on the race:


I expect to pass through life but once.  If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again.  ~William Penn



"And that's all I have to say about that".


I hope you all had as happy a Fathers Day as I did.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Hey Shawn! Congrats on the race and Congrats to son B on his first half in a rockstar time at 15. Proud papa on Father's Day I bet!!!! And my sympathies to the "Boss" both with the crutches and her grandpa!!

My sister and my dad also did the Manitoba half this year! My sister paced my dad right around 2 hours. I would have loved to watch!

So, I'm hoping you can get that knee back to prime working condition!!! Best of luck with your sanity this next month of rehab! Thank God for the bike:)

Chris K said...

I loved Forrest Gump.

Kinda a bummer that you suffer through winter and are now shut down for the summer for running.

Life's not fair.

My next marathon is in Oct too.

Congrats on JR - very impressive. Must have THE BOSS's genes.