Thursday, June 30, 2011

Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon. ~Doug Larson

Mmmmmm  Bacon!!!!!!

I just thought that quote was funny...and true!

I have not run since June 19th. That sucks!!!!!!! 

If I don't get out soon, I may start to look like that bacon producer!

Not only am I growley because I can't run, but the bike is no treat either and I have decided to stay away from that too for a bit (maybe get back on this weekend). Using stairs causes acute pain so I have either been grabbing the rails or crabbing it sideways on the way down.

The Manitoba Marathon (1/2) came too soon after the Ottawa Race Weekend  (full).....course...maybe that was my own fault for not following "the plan" in Ottawa.  Live and learn is a hard pill to swallow sometimes.

My IT Band From the web:

Iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS) can be a debilitating injury to a runner. The IT band, as it is more commonly known, can become so painful that a runner is unable to train at all) on my left knee/leg still hurts. Thank god for re-usable ice packs....but my patience is disappearing fast. This of course is a self diagnosis, I am a man after all and of course we know everything about ourselves and how to use 2 fingers on the keyboard to get that google diagnosis.

So thats me....the lateral epicondyle guy...say that fast 5 times.
Not much can be done except massage (we have no seedy massage areas around here...damn!) and ice and rest and did I mention I can't run and biking is painful too!!! Is there not a remote around somewhere that can fix this with 1 click?

But enough of the rant...tomorrow is Canada Day around here so I will lounge myself like a lizard in the sun by the pool (no speedo though...that's gross). We are close to Ottawa (1 hr) but will not be going to see William and Kate. Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Canada Day is absolutely nuts!!! Went last year and as we were getting up to the hill, the "BOSS" (she was tail end charlie) banged into someone and tripped. She kinda lost us for a second and then they closed a barrier  just ahead of her until the Queen (not my "BOSS", the real Queen Elizabeth II) was into the Parliament grounds. That barrier opened 4 hours later....can you say "PISSED OFF BOSS"? I of course knew deep down that this was somehow my fault so I stoically took one on the chin for all those husbands out there who are idiots and should have known (using the eyes in the back of my head of course) that their "BOSS" tripped and was separated from the pack......oh well, the rest of the evening was interesting after "THE LOOK" turned into a minor glance. It was busy as there were thousands of folks in a relatively small space. It took us 25 minutes to walk to the car and 1 hour to get out of downtown before we really started driving home. So I can only imagine how crazy it will be there come this Friday with the arrival of the newest Royal couple.

So I may get out on the bike Saturday for a short spin...or not. I guess it is a day to day thing....grrrwwwwwww!!!! Did I mention this sucks!!!!!

Lastley on today's foul post, have a happy Birthday Canada on Friday, July 1st.

Wherever you are, you are welcome to come join us for our 144th. We are kinda friendly like that......were Canadians!!!

6 comments:

Christi said...

Happy Birthday Canada!

Jamoosh said...

No running or biking? More time for beer - but get the 16 ounces vs 12 ounces - better workout!

Kate said...

Live and learn IS a cruddy way to have to get lessons through ones thick skull. I may or may not know this from experience. It's so frustrating to be forced to take time off...have you considered synchronized swimming to fill your empty hours? It may not be YOUR life lo g dream, but the videos would give your followers hours of enjoyment. :)

Char said...

ITB can HURT! I've had a couple of episodes and it wasn't fun. Have you got yourself a foam roller? They're wonderful inventions of torture that do help. Stretch, ice, ibuprofen ... and then do it all again.

Coy Martinez said...

Well, I spent the month of February recovering from IT Band syndrome. I starting running too fast too often. I got it in my right knee. I could run 4 miles and it would flare up. It was strange. Biking hurt too. So, I went and bought a foam roller and the first time I rolled I knew I had a problem, it hurt like hell but I recovered quickly, like within two weeks once I started rolling and stretching that leg about 3 times a day. I would run slowly about 3 miles a couple times a week but that's it. If you can't run at all without pain then don't run. ROLL! ROLL! ROLL! I know lots of people who have done ART therpay and it works pretty quickly.

Hope you get better soon!! I know how frustrating it can be!

Kate said...

P.S. Your header picture makes me smile every time I see it.