Friday, May 6, 2011

Solitude never hurt anyone. Emily Dickinson lived alone, and she wrote some of the most beautiful poetry the world has ever known... then went crazy as a loon. ~Matt Groening, The Simpsons, spoken by the character Lisa Simpson

I run alone....until the racing comes along.


And then I run alone amongst a whole bunch of other runners.


I am okay with this.


Why bring this up? Well, as some may have noticed in my last post, I PR'd my 1/2 Marathon time by 3 minutes and 35 seconds. The whole reason for going all out on this 1/2 was to try and get a better baseline pace for my 1st Marathon in 23 days.


When I put my time in from my best 1/2 from last year (note...only 2 1/2's last year), the MacMillan pace calculator spit out an 8:33 mins/mile pace. I tried to train at that pace and pretty much drove myself crazy trying to run that slow.


If that is your pace, awesome, I am not trying to slag any 8:33 mins/mile pace runners. I am merely stating that I had a problem with that number....and therefore followed my heart and set a new Marathon pace of 8:15 to train at.


So back to the new 1/2 time.....1:42:38. Plug that into the old pace calculator and come up with a full Marathon pace of 8:16 mins/mile. Can you say CHA-CHING!!!!!!!!! I was off by a second according to some MacMillan guy....who I trust because us Scottish folk tend to be a bit clansy (men who wear skirts tend to be like that).


 So why the solitary stuff?....welll, the son's track coach who ran the 5 k last weekend (1st in age...I guess that's why he is the track coach)...made mention about how lonely the course was for runners...and he was right. Not many spots that people were cheering for runners....cause it was just not that type of course.


Did not bother me at all. I do run by myself and always have. I enjoy others company but it just never seems to happen when I run...oh well, thats life.


Just a couple of other quick notes:


  • I really enjoyed the comments from the last post that stated I should have won something for my age group. Thank-you. We have some awesome old guy runners around here...the top guy in the 45-49 age group ran a 1:21:31.....smoked me by 22:07. the guy ahead of me was a full minute and 9 seconds faster than the Immortal.
  • Some numbers changed from last week, I was 4/5 for my age group and was 26/64 overall for the 1/2. 19/31 for men.
  • Todays run was into a nasty ass wind gusting up to 20-25 miles or so. Was nice to have a big poosh on my booootocks on the leg home.
  • 8 tomorrow, 16 Sunday and that 16 will be my last long run before the 29th. I cannot wait.
So there ya go folks. It has been an up and down week, but that is how life goes some times.


Lastly, If you don't follow this blog , you should. Adam always cracks me up and he is also...a solitary runner.


Are you a groupie runner or not???????


Have a great weekend, rumor has it that spring is coming soon!!!

7 comments:

Kate said...

I'm still aspiring to your slow pace. :) Getting there, it's just a slow process.

I did ALL my training alone for the first 9 months I ran. It wasn't until the last couple months that I had people to run with. I still do the vast majority of runs alone, but I've come to love running with other people...especially bc they're all faster than me and make me push harder than I would alone. And I really enjoy the camaraderie, too.

Chris K said...

I run by myself most of the time. I recently starting running trails with a local Blogger's husband and that's been cool. I've fine with my podcasts and solitary views of looking out of the Pacific Ocean.

Nice job on bringing your MP pace up. I just cranked mine up too for this training cycle.

Kovas said...

Solo. It's hard to find people who want to run at 4:00 AM. I don't mind though, it's really the only time I get to myself.

Coy Martinez said...

I normally run by myself, I try to run with a group but I'm crap for conversation while running. I just enjoy me and my tunes :)

Good luck on your full!

Teamarcia said...

Do not apologize for running alone. I do it all the time and love it. It's my me time. It's my solace.
I've raced with someone only once and that was for the last 5 miles or so.
Whatever McMillan says, BELIEVE IT! He doesn't lie.

Jamoosh said...

Adam is like me - we run solo because we have no friends...

Adam said...

Funny, as I was reading this I was going to comment "hey! that is totally me. I don't run with other people either." and then you beat me to it! :)