Sunday, April 3, 2011

There is a first time for everything



Well...another 1st,

I did 49 miles in training this week. I was so excited I had a beer with my post run breakfast after my 20 minute cold shower/bath. It really is recovery food!

The 'Boss" once again got on the bike and did circles around me and accompanied me on the "farm run". Too bad that g#$@%^$%amned wind was up again. I could see the heart rate stats from Garmin go up about every place the wind picked up or anytime I tried to converse with the "Boss". I think there is a lesson there somewhere :).

So todays other big news, my Tulips are poking thru the mulch and I actually have a couple of flowers blooming. Yay....I love gardening and flowers and crap...Chris will probably take me off the Manly Man follower list but hey, that's who I am.

Reminded of an incident that happened with son "B" when he was a little guy (about 10-12 years ago). We were at a mall, just him and I and I bought him an ice cream. He sat very politely on the bench and finished his ice cream and got cleaned up real well. On the otherside (behind us) of the bench, an old lady was sitting there (she must have been about 80). My lad stood up on the bench and went over and tapped her on the shoulder. She turned around and he gave her a big hug and a kiss. Her comment.....

"Oh my, it has been such along time since I was kissed by such a handsome young man!!"

It was one of the most spontaneous things I have ever seen in my life. He is still a play fair and everybody is included kinda kid. Maybe it is the month of April but it seems spring brings out the best of everybody.

Have a great week folks, enjoy your miles and hopefully some sunshine!

When was the last time you did something just for the hell of it?

5 comments:

Laura said...

Along with my recovery drink...I have been all over an afternoon Guiness of late...
I'm not a real spontaneous kind of person...wish I was but I am such a planner....

Adam said...

I can't remember the last time an 80 year old lady kissed me. I need to eat more ice cream.

nice work on the 49 miles!!!

Kate said...

Nice job, Shawn!

I get excited about my plants, too. Luckily, I don't have to worry about being manly. Well, I would worry about being considered manly. But you know what I mean. Anyway, our hostas are poking up, and the phlox is spreading and blooming. Spring makes me happy. :)

Johann said...

Great job on the training! Mmm…I’ll keep my boss out of all of this for now. I’m a huge gardener/flower guy myself. We are moving closer to winter here so my flowers are starting to fade away slowly. Enjoy the arrival of spring!

Chris K said...

Great job Canada. Neat story too. And you definitely get to keep your Man Car. You are a rennaisance man.