Friday, April 1, 2011

The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep on running. ~Author unknown

Time for a real post.

Like most everything this last month, my posts have been a rush job. No real thought put into them, just get the quick note in to ease the guilt of not doing a good job let people know you are still alive.

I think there are times during your life when you go on autopilot. You get the job done but put no real effort into it. I think everyone can look back at the end of a day, a week, a month and even years and see when they just slid through life without any effort. 

I sometimes think that is my tag line:

“If you would have put in a bit more effort son, it could have been Golden”.

This past March was one of those months that I was in cruise control. Call it the “blahs”, the "blues" or SAD, call it whatever you want. I just didn’t give a rat’s arse about anything! I knew things would get better, I just didn't know when.

I was running, but I wasn’t running......does that make sense?

I mean, I was not laying on the couch eating chips and hoho’s and drinking beer, I did put in the miles. They were done because they needed to be done, not necessarily because I wanted to do them. Kinda like those nasty things in life that you have to deal with (but dread) because life goes on and it just has to be done.

When I started running, I had a goal to lose weight. That is now accomplished. I have learned how to control my eating (somewhat) and do the regular running to keep things in check.

I then got a new goal, my first Marathon (now less than 2 months away, May 29th). I have been putting in the miles
   
because I know if I don’t, I will suck...big time. In almost all aspects of life, fear and embarrassment are great motivators.

So, on paper for March, I did 129.36 miles, had an average HR of 144 bpm, burned 19331 calories and an average speed of 6.9 mph.

A lot of those miles were done on autopilot, no real effort....just get er done. But in reflection, I realize that that in itself is an accomplishment. I also understand that I could have just said to hell with it and layed on the couch and eaten chips and hoho’s, drank beer and been in bliss thrown all my hard work down the drain.

This morning, I looked at my efforts put into my Marathon training so far:

309.93 miles, average HR of 145 bpm, burned 44015 calories and an average speed of 6.8 mph.

Then I looked at my Garmin numbers to date

200 runs: 1304.91 miles, 193 hours, Elevation gain of 18,881 feet, avg speed of 6.8 mph, avg HR 145 bpm, burned 195,258 calories, max speed 20.9 mph (probably from running down some big ass hill in Vermont), max avg HR 167 BPM.

I then gave myself a pat on the back, cut myself some slack, and thought, this is “Golden”.

They are just numbers...but they are my numbers, I earned them. I persevered when I could have quit and I am proud of them. So what if some are on autopilot, they still got done and that work will pay off in the end.

So I am glad that the March Madness is over for another year. I am back on track and am enjoying my runs again....much attributed to the vacation to Florida and an 8 mile run on the beach. I survived another winter....fitter, healthier and the happiest I have been in years.



Happy spring folks!!!

Do you suffer from March Madness?

2 comments:

Christi said...

You are golden! Great job for March! I think I had March Madness in February!

Caroline said...

Here's to Spring coming your way! I like how you ended this post! what more can you ask really..right? the happiest you have been in years...that is GOLDEN!