Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thankful Thursday, Edition III

2nd Chances. I am thankful for 2nd chances.

For having been on the receiving end of one and not finding out till years later that somebody went to bat for me and hit a homer.

For being on the giving end, looking at the big picture and the small moment and being bigger than I thought I was capable of.

Many years ago when I first got my drivers license, I had a nasty accident. I rolled my brothers Ford Maverick on a gravel road after blowing a tire (and going too fast). Luckily, my younger brother, a family friend and I had no injuries except for a cut cheek caused by a flying skate.

We flagged down a car and my brother headed for home to let my folks know. I eventually drove the car out of the ditch, changed the tire and drove to the RCMP station to report the accident. My father met me there and helped with the accident report and then drove all of us home. About 20 minutes later, we mysteriously ran out of milk and my dad casually tossed me his car keys and asked me to go get some for supper.

You sometimes never realize how much trust is passed in such a small gesture until you have kids of your own and you see the trust it takes to give a second chance. I don’t ever remember my folks raising their voices in anger at this incident…nor do I ever remember it being thrown in my face when I did something stupid later on while still living at home.

As I get older, I believe that life is all about 2nd chances. Getting and giving, forgiving and reflecting.

In my humble experience, cherish that 2nd chance when you get it, because as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, you will have to pay it forward to someone else sometime in your future.

 

3 comments:

Christi said...

That is a great story. Your father did the right thing but I don't know if I would have been able to do that for my son. Whoops!

Chris K said...

Your dad sounds like a good guy.

Shawn said...

Thanx Guys.....I had only one hero growing up...yep..my dad. Has been, always will be the one guy I have tried to be.