Monday, February 28, 2011

I hate the treadmill (but it's not far to get home if you have a FAIL)


Last week I put in 34 miles. It was supposed to be more but I was a dough head. Lets just say I decided to do an easy 6 Monday after the ½ last Sunday and I got about 3 miles in and the right knee started nattering at me.....

I did the walk/hobble/stagger home and said no more running till Thursday. Went out Thursday and did an awesome 6 miles with no pain, Friday was 7 on the treadmill in the garage...(man it sucks to do that for 7 miles!!!) with no pain, Saturday was 6 with no pain...so Sunday should have been a cake walk...right? FOOL!!!!

The schedule showed a 12 miler. I fueled up good, put on the camelbak and headed out the door. Now we did get a bit of snow but I did not think it would make a difference. FAIL!!!!!!

My 12 miler was a great big circular route out in the country and then back home. No pain in the knee so it should not have been a problem? WRONG!!!

After dodging the snowplows and cars by running on the shoulder (which is usually clear on that route), my knee started to act up at mile 6. I guess that little bit of snow and my jumping back and forth between dry pavement and uneven snow put undo stress on the right knee and I was back doing the walk/hobble/stagger home....all 4 miles of it. Nice to run a circle route but sucks if it is an out and back circle (instead of being in the middle). LOSER!!!!





The funny thing is, no pain in the knee when I am walking. The only thing I can think of is that the sideways movement is straining the small muscles around the knee (ACL) and telling me to stop doing that. DUMBASS!!!!!

I will do my 6 on the treadmill tonight as we had freezing rain here last night and everything is slick as hell. Hopefully I won’t go buggy as I will put on some tunes for distraction, something I haven’t done for almost a year.

So we will see how it goes. From the time I started running till last week, I had only ever stopped once during a run...probably something I drank the night before had something to do with it.

So...I hope it is just a passing thing. I will go easy on the tread tonight....I wish spring was here already...I am so tired of this weather.

Mother nature, I surrender... you lousy B$%^#....bring me dry pavement please!!!!!

7 comments:

Emz said...

Who
knows
you
just
MAY
love
it!?

I'll be hoping you do. ;)

Caroline said...

I don't know about LOVING it, but maybe you will be able to tolerate it for 6 miles! that is my max on the machine after that I loose my mind.
you can do this!

Teamarcia said...

Dontcha just love the freezing rain? yeah me too. Not.

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Sound like your knee is getting better except for the lateral movement. Man, c'mon SPRING!

2 Slow 4 Boston said...

My knee is my weak link. I really try to listen to it. I also do some weights, stretches, and cross training to try and keep it happy. Hope it is better soon.

Kovas said...

Treadmills are a lifesaver - so much better than not running, simple as that.

Jenn said...

I'm so hearing you on the weather. -23 degrees tonight. It's freakin' MARCH and I want to run on the track!!!!! My treadmill and I are getting quite close-we fight a lot though and sometimes I spit on him! Hope you learn to love yours!