Saturday, January 29, 2011

And even if you were in some prison, the walls of which let none of the sounds of the world come to your senses - would you not then still have your childhood, that precious, kingly possession, that treasure-house of memories? ~Rainer Maria Rilke

I am currently watching the 24 hours of Daytona and making all kinds of parallel connections to my marathon training and this marathon driving race. Preparation, preparation, preparation, training, looking at the long term "GOAL"....

I have to keep reminding myself that the goal is volume, not speed when training. I am by no means a fast runner but for me to slow down to the recommended paces of "The Plan", it is hard. I imagine it will be easier as the miles add up and the fatigue sets in.

So I figured I'd just use the Garmin Virtual Partner and keep 200 feet ahead of "HER" so I don't get chicked during training. Not that it hasn't happened before..and I know it will happen again...but not during training!!

Had a solid 6 today at recommended pace, look forward to an 8 tomorrow plus some more core workout stuff.

Was also thinking today about some memories while out on the run (while looking at the Virtual "She" to make sure my slush and snow pace was smokin') and the memory box my folks made for each of my brothers, sister and I when they moved from my childhood home to their retirement villa(s).

For years in our house, there was a tickle trunk (I will follow up on that later Canadian Mr. Dressup Fans) under the stairs in the storage room. It had pictures and memories from school, my cub scout uniform, baby shoes and other great memories that my Mom had saved just like most parents do. It also had some hilarious 8mm films of my Dad attempting to golf with a smoke hanging out of his mouth...kinda a Charlie Chaplin thing in fast forward speed...and he still denies that he ever played golf. Ha!

So my memory trunk is a Tomato Box (If I ever get the 110 things about me you never knew question stuff, I hate the texture of raw tomato's, stewed tomatoes, chopped tomato's and will not eat them to save my soul...but I like tomato sauce and ketchup) full of pictures, baby boots, hockey and baseball cards and newspaper clippings, in a vessel which I think is a shot from my Mom & Dad as we did have some epic battles over eating the afore mentioned tomato's.

So I found these pictures of me in there all virginal wide eyed (I hope so, I was about  4-5) and innocent.

I kinda think I look like Elvis's brother in the one pic...got that spaced out "duhhhhh" look down pat...or maybe its a future Homer Simpson wannabe?

Either way, man I was innocent then, just like all of us.

In retrospect, it is so cool that my Mom (and Dad got the box) took the time to give me all these great memories anytime I feel the urge to take a look. Thanx folks...

Owwww..gotta go Juan Paulo Montoya is in the garage...just like I am, fueling up for tomorrow.


PS...did the Daily Mile widget is new cause I'm just to lazy to keep inputting miles manually...it is pretty  cool though..way to leap into the 90's Shawn!!!

CIAO people

3 comments:

Jamoosh said...

The early miles of a training plan are tough. But, discipline in this stage will payuoff later. Keep up the good work.

Raegun said...

Love the bowtie!

Chris K said...

Wait a sec, you are Canadian. Aren't all Canadians still innocent. Way to stick with The Plan!