Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire. ~Arnold H. Glasow

Welcome back folks. I hope your Christmas was as good as mine....full of laughter and love.

I did follow through with my present for myself, 1 hour of running (+ a bit) on Christmas day. I also ran Boxing day and then did a bit of this yesterday:


Kinda look like a rooster in this get up...Foghorn Leghorn maybe? 


Having a chuckle on the hill with a friend of mine....freaking wind froze most of the extremities!!! 



But hey...we had fun. I then proceeded to have a great 13+ km run this morning to inch closer to my 900 miles aspiration (pardon the flipping between kms and miles, I was growing up when this started in Canada but still knew all the statute numbers). I also got in some chores (painting, cleaning and kitchen grouting stuff) and found some time to start making turkey soup. 

I find I am really going above and beyond where I would not go before for cooking. I would never make soup before but now I just go nuts with it?

But the reason for todays typing. I have been reading the January 2011 "Runners World" mag every chance I get (ie...it's in the JOHN...want to learn anything, leave the manual in the JOHN, you will be an expert in 6 months) which is when I get my only quiet time.

The article that has peaked my interest (I know Nell, heard it from a friend who talked to their brother, etc....) is about a guy who wanted to better (re: reclaim his youth) his time in the Chicago marathon. He prepared a bit unorthodox with the Hanson Brothers (who own Hansons Running Shops) who basically trained him with no 20 miler in the prep. The longest prep run for the marathon was 16 miles....the idea being he was being trained to run the last 16 miles of the race as opposed to the entire marathon distance.

Now, I have never run a marathon...a couple of 1/2's but that's it. So I may be talking out my butt (keep your comments clean and above the belt please), but this makes sense to me and will be something I kinda will follow as I set up for my 1st marathon. I have never run with a plan but will try their plan as prep for when it when it happens. I kinda do it now....for example, after skiing yesterday, we went for wings, pizza and beer....and then a few more beers at home later. 

So this mornings 13+ k was done with minimum breakfast, no extra water other than what I shoved down before bed last night and nothing extra along the way...just run till I stop. And for what it is worth, no pain, no major fatigue, many miles at a reasonable pace and I just sucked it up and ran. The only time I take Gu's or Clifshots is during races or when I want to make sure something new agrees with my stomach. I pretty much ran for 1 hr and 15 minutes with no extras at all and I could have gone longer........hmmmmm, how far can I really go with nothing in the tank?

So, not that I'm going to change until I get hit between the eyeballs with a bat...do you remember this line?

"You gotta keep your eye on the ball Son......eye on the ball...eyeball son, get it ????",

But what do you think? I mean I will let you all know if I do a face plant but I gotta follow my stubborn , stupid, mostly trusting heart.

So, drop me a comment, would you try this as a training requiem? Just keep it clean...and I leave you with this food for thought;



The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.  ~Bruce Feirstein, Tomorrow Never Dies (screenplay)


3 comments:

Kovas Palubinskas said...

I saw the same article and was intrigued as well. Even though they do less mileage, I believe it's at a much faster pace, right? Go for it, if you fail, the rest of us are off the hook!

Shawn said...

My feelings exactly Kovas...I have big shoulders...I can do it!!!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

I need to steal a few of your quotes! Thanks for the input on the header...it is ultimately "my blog" but I do enjoy the opinions of readers!

Good for you for giving your self a gift of an hour!!! each day!