Friday, December 3, 2010

Know your Audience

The topic of discussion today is about communication. During coffe break, it was mentioned how “clicky” groups of people are....for example: Mustang drivers wave to Mustang drivers, Harley riders acknowledge each other all the time, etc...

I made the comment that most runners acknowledge each other with a wave or a nod but sometimes you do get RUDE runners who either outright ignore you or make an effort to ensure that they do not have to acknowledge you. What gives with that? I always make it a point to say “Hi” or wave....I think we support each other by acknowledging one another....don’t you?

So todays story, Know your Audience:

I used to give blood donations when I was younger. I gave about 6 times but then got tired of passing out ¾ of the time. Not real macho when your trying to be cool, your eyes roll back and you land face first somewhere. But I digress....so this particular donation was in a college gymnasium. I was asked to lie down on the gurney and the nurse came and started the procedure. Once I was all hooked up, away she went to steal someone elses blood. Being the “Chatty Cathy” (no offence to any Cathys out there), I looked at the fellow next to me and tried to strike up a conversation...”It only hurts the first time they stick it in you” I said. The gentleman said exactly nothing to me, kept staring straight up at the ceiling....so I did too. My next comment a couple of minutes later was “Wonder how all those stains got on the ceiling?”. Once again, I was ignored. By now my frustration was setting in about being ignored, I mean really, twice I had initiated the conversation and buddy ignored me!!! What’s up with that?

So I figured 2 could play that game, so I ignored him back. Within 10 minutes or so, I had filled the bag, probably had the blood pressure up so it was pumping in there pretty quick. As I was getting un-hooked, I glanced over at buddy to see that the nurse was talking to him...in sign language.


My 1st instinct was to try and find a hole to crawl into and the the 2nd was to see if anyone had been watching the situation unfold.

So lesson learned, know your audience before making a snap decision. And the original question...do you acknowledge other runners?

Have a great weekend all, nailed about 8 miles last night on my terms....MOST AWESOME.

17 comments:

Jamoosh said...

I once started a conversation with a Hispanic friend of mine in Spanish. He looked at me funny, but let me continue for a few more sentences before saying, "I don't speak a lick of Spanish."

Doh!

Kovas Palubinskas said...

I'll wave, nod, smile, or say hi, but I would say more times than not, no response. Runners could learn a thing or two from motorcycle riders - they ALL acknowledge each other.

ShutUpandRun said...

Such a great reminder. There is some story like that about eating cookies in an aiport, I'll try to find it. We never know what people are going through, so we shouldn't make assumptions.

-Nellie and Jonathan said...

Ok, that was a FUNNY story :) You know, I'm always smiling, waving, giving other runner's a thumbs up when I see them. Most of the time I get a response (probably because they think I have some sort of mental illness), but sometimes I get zilch, nada, no response.

So next time, I'm going to figure out the sign for "Hello" in sign language, and try that. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna cross the street and beat them up to teach the bastards a lesson :o

Nellie
http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com

Emz said...

Love this.

Awesome post. A much n eeded reminder.

Your comment last night on my blog. The best ever.

HILARIOUS.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

great story! I always acknowledge other runners with a nod & smile, hi, or a wave, but maybe I am offending some of them too!

Raegun said...

I'm probably guilty of ignoring other runners...but only because I tend to listen to my iPod when running alone.

Patrick Mahoney said...

How does EMZ even have the chance to pass people on the treadmill? A mystery.

I try to wave to runners and not to cyclists. I get a response about 70% of the time. Not trying to be funny, but you are more apt to get a return salutation from those who (for lack of a better term) "look" experienced.

Patrick Mahoney said...

PS "Not" is supposed to be "nod".

Shawn said...

Glad to see you clarified that Patrick..cause it is really funny the other way...anti cyclist tri athlete!!!!

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

You are going to make me pull out a dictionary one of these days, aren't you. Lucky for you, I can stalk your blog to ask you what the heck SUAR is?!?! You Canadians have your own language, or what? heheehehe!!

Shawn said...

Once again, I cannot hide!!

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

Thanks for the SUAR link. FINALLY someone who gets my poop obsession. Should provide hours of entertainment...just what I need in these long winter months!

Nellie
p.s. Saw your zippy car :)

Barbie said...

I could not stop laughing - just what I needed this morning. I thought you were going to say that he had passed out cold and that's why he didn't answer. i am sure he would have laughed too if he knew you were trying to strike up a conversation.

Quinton J said...

Hahaha…I pass out when I give blood too. The last time I went to give blood the nurse said “Giving blood is not for everyone”…in other words “You are embarrassing yourself and others”.

If I say “hi” to a runner and they ignore me I chase their ass down, wrestle them to the ground and yell…”YOU DIDN’T HEAR ME SAY “HI” MUTHAEFFA?”

…I do that even if they’re def.

Michelle said...

Seriously, I'm so late to the party and now I'm filling your blog with comments on a Saturday night. Crap!

When I first started running right after work I would see this same kickass guy running home from work. +30 or -40, didn't matter, he was there. Then one day I see him in front of me coming towards me. I was almost to my walk break but couldn't bear to start walking before I got past him so I was dying but determined to run past him. He came closer, looking serious, face frosted, and then he gave me a small wave, a big smile and a nod. That was huge. That pretty much carried me the rest of the way home and since then I have smiled and nodded at every single runner, walker, and cyclist. There is just one so far that won't do it back but I"m determined to do it till he caves. :)

Krista said...

I love it when other runners acknowledge me. One day I was chugging along with my kids in a jogger and a running clapped for me as she ran by. It totally made my day!