Saturday, December 11, 2010

Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one. ~Jane Howard

I must start by making a qualifying comment.

"I have a great life".

In todays (tonights) blog, I would like to share a little bit about the most precious things in my life, my family:

I have a very supportive "BOSS" (and I call her that with the MOST respect as she is the best part of my life...and we do make joint decisions...I just like to call her boss) who has accepted my new passion with a grain of salt and who has also accepted that this will be permanent. She is front line in the health care system and does make a difference. She looks after people who have just had surgeries, are going to have surgeries, who are in emergency situations, who are tired, sore, cranky, have shitty pukey beds and in some cases dying. She deals with families who are hurting, in pain and she does it all with a professionalism, patience and care that I will never have. She is a very special person and I am blessed to be with her.  It is never boring and for that I am thankful. She is also my best friend and confidant...love of my life!!!

Our sons..."A" & "B'.

"B" is the 1st. He is a super athlete (pick a sport and he will be a starter) , great with kids and so big hearted. When he was about 4, we were hanging around a mall killing time. I bought him an ice cream and then had him sit with Dad on the bench till he finished it. He finished the ice cream and then much to my surprize, he tapped an older lady (who was sitting on the bench right behind us, she had to be 80 years old) on the shoulder. When she turned to see who tapped her, he gave her a big hug and then kissed her on the cheek. She looked a bit flustered and then said to me, "It's been such a long time since I was kissed by such a handsome young man!". What a proud Dad I was...and still am. He is a wonderful, conscientious, caring young man who has a big heart. He always tries to do the right thing no matter what it costs him. I am so extremely proud to be part of his life.

Exhibit "A" is our 2nd born. We make jokes that if TV watching was a sport, he would be an Olympian. He is, has always been, and I hope will always be a champion for those who need help. He is now on his 3rd time growing his hair for "Angel Hair for Kids", an organization that makes wigs for kids who have suffered hair loss due to chemotherapy treatments. On his own and by himself, he decided to grow a minimum of 10 inches of hair for a hair donation 3 times. He has been called many  names (take your pick, kids are cruel) and had many slurs thrown at him but he does not let that deter him. He is mentally, one of the  toughest kids I have ever met and yet he has to give his Mom & Dad a hug every morning to start his day off right (man I hope that never ends!!!). I am so grateful and humble to be a Dad to this special human being....how could I not be?

So why I posted this tonight? Well....I am so impressed with the fitness community and how you all support each other through good and bad. In the blog world, it does not matter if your discipline is running, marathon, endurance, 1k, 2k, 5 k, 10 k, Ironman, Tinman, Man vs Horse, Weight loss, this that or the next thing!!! People support people. I almost always see positive comments with the exception of a few jerks...but that's the way the world turns. I kinda feel like Jerry Maguire now....or Sally Field.."You really, really like me!!!!! But it is true...there is some kidding, teasing and of course, correcting grammer AND ALL THE FUN THAT GOES WITH THAT!!! in the blogs I follow. But the underlying message is "We support you and if you make the effort, we will applaud it!!!". And what more support could you ask for than that?

So I am thankful for this group, whether it be at home or in cyberspace. Thank-you for your experiences that have helped me and others move ahead, gain inspiration and perhaps push ourselves farther that we thought we could.

Have a great weekend all and give yourselves a pat on the back...and take the time to appreciate the good things on your life...it does not cost a penny to be happy..I am so blessed....

6 comments:

Katie said...

Well said!! I have never felt as encouraged, supported or inspired than in these three short months I've been blogging. In fact it had never even crossed my mind to ever attempt an Ironman, but wow I get more tempted everyday by all these crazzeee bloggers :D

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

WOW! This was a really great post! It really does feel like we all are on the same team here in blogworld.

It was also great to read your heartfelt stories about your family. I'm sure they appreciate you as much as you do them. It was awesome to read SPECIFIC things you love about your wife and each son. Thanks for sharing this part of your life, and letting us get to know you better.


Nellie
http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com
(36 year old fulltime RVer living la vida loca with a cute-butt husband and a stink-butt dog!)

~Pearl said...

Great post! I love hearing what you say about your boys. My boys are my life and I think everyday how lucky I am to have them in my life.

And then I log in online, and while the blogging community is new to me, everyone is so kind and willing and ready to help on another.

I work online and have maintained and helped with a few online communities, and I just adore the people and friends I have made over the years. I take 1/2 my vacation time every year and go visit friends that started out as online friends but have become my best friends in my everyday life, too!

Thanks for your post!

Michelle said...

Blink Blink Blink. So true, couldn't agree more. Over the last few weeks, my commenters and secret emailers have been so valuable and supportive.

Tricia said...

loved this!

this really is an amazing community

Andrew Opala said...

I support you even if you don't make the effort!

Thanks for your support as well, and the cool reflections on your family!