Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss


I have been waiting days for some type of inspiration, some whisper of an idea for the blog. You know that something that is buzzing in the outer edges of your brain.....just waiting for a breath of oxygen to give it life.

Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.

  ~Mary Kay Ash


I wanted to have a grand finale for the year, an epiphany, a post to end all posts...something the whole blog world would revere and “oooooohhh” and “aahhhhh” about for years to come

“Remember that post SHAWN did in 2010, man....that was something!!!”

And then it was gone....Oh well, fun while it lasted.

Really though... As I ran the other night, I glanced at a reflection of myself in a store window...and it hit me. I am a Runner. What a mind blowing moment....what a rush. I was on autopilot all the way home.

A Runner, wow. Who knew? If you would have told me this is where I would be a year from now last year, I’d have laughed my ass off!

When I  started this blog, it was for me, not for anybody else. I wanted to share my accomplishments with people who understood the effort and discipline it takes to reach a goal. With the exception of one run and any races I have participated in, my running has been done solo. So by starting a blog, I hoped to connect with a unique group of people. People who have it together, people who understand the sacrifice you make and people who have the world by the tail and ain’t letting go! Many of you are that collective voice in the back of my head that pushes me on when AE decides to be a run wrecker. At least I hope that’s you folks yakking up there?

So, to a certain extent, I think I have accomplished that.

I then thought, what has running done for me? Well this picture speaks a few 1000 words or so. I have only done head shots but you can extrapolate those extra pounds any way you want.



Running is teaching me to enjoy my life, to take pleasure in the road travelled. I’m finding out that it’s okay to lower my expectations but not accept any less quality in my day to day living. I am trying to take myself less serious as I have in the past. I am learning to be a little less critical of my own short comings and those of others....and striving to live life on my terms, my way,....with a lot more humour.

My life has been one great big joke,
A dance that's walked,
A song that's spoke,
I laugh so hard I almost choke,
When I think about myself.
~Maya Angelou

And maybe that’s the secret of a happy life, have a laugh at your own expense once in awhile....and just keep Chasing Immortality, 1 Mile at a Time.... 

So to all of you who follow this blog, publicly or privately, I wish you all the best in 2011. May you reach all your milestones and then some.

I leave you with this food for thought:


When the world says, "Give up,"
Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
~Author Unknown

2 comments:

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Nice post, Shawn. I'll be thinking about this at least until next year. :) Happy holidays!

Adam said...

Mission accomplished. This IS the post to end all posts for 2010. It is always awesome to see where you have been and where you are going to go.

Here is to hope whispering just a few more times!