Thursday, November 4, 2010

Oh my God, shoot me now!!!!!!!

So, I have to talk about my race last weekend, the "Kingdom Challenge" in St. Johnsbury, Vermont. What a pretty state Vermont is. It is very hilly and woodsy (if that's a word). While driving there, I half expected Larry, Daryl and Daryl to pop out of the woods at the least expected moment.

Check out the Course Description.......

"A point to point half marathon with typical Vermont terrain, including hills, 4 covered bridges and scenic Vermont, back roads; moderately challenging."

These Vermontians people are sick and twisted!!!!!

Including hills and moderately challenging is probably the biggest understatement of the year. Check out the elevation profile from my Garmin (please note km's, Canuck math EH, 1 km = 0.6 Miles, 1 meter = about 3 feet)




"GOOD GOD, TAKE ME NOW"  I exclaimed after the second big Mount Everest...

As a participant in the Army Run 1/2 marathon in Ottawa (my 1st attempt at any marathon, 14000+ participants, awesome run), that was a flat course. This however was a kick n the nads. Add n the fact that it was freezing and snowing and I had nothing but respect for all the participants in this event....kudos to the organizers also, great job with the hot soup for all the runners after the race. Mind you, most of the folks were trying to pour the soup on themselves so they could get the feeling back in their hands.

 I would also be remiss if I did not add this.....most all of the participants headed inside (the school) to have their soup after the race. Many experienced runners were slow to get up after the soup...cause damn, those hills were tough. I felt the pain but not really until 5am Sunday morning when I crawled out of bed....2 steps and my calves went "eeeeeyyyyyiioooowwww".  Later that morning, "The Boss" commented that I was walking like an old man....my reply..."I am an old man".

Still to come...my goals for the rest of 2010, Goals for 2011 and a number I hope to reach before 50!

No comments: