Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Beep, Beep

I am having a hard time defining my GOALS for next year and the future.

See, the problem is, I really love to run.

I thought the problem was this:

  1. If I define a goal(s), I will HAVE to achieve that goal at almost any cost.
  1. I will attempt to get in miles that I do not want to run because I will HAVE to achieve the goal.
  1. If I do 1 & 2 above, running will not be a joy anymore, it will be a CHORE and I don’t want that....therefore, don’t have any goals...just free style man!!!!

When in fact, the problem is this:

I am too hard on myself when things don’t work out the way I want. When I can’t achieve one of my goals, I am critical of myself and imagine, worry about what others will think.

For example: If one of your children has done a nasty and you are doling out penance, do yourself a favour and ask him/her what they think the punishment should be. You may be surprised to find out that usually their punishment for themselves is worse than yours.

You see, we are our own worst critics. We know when we have not done our best and we think atonement should reflect what we are feeling at the moment. That’s why kids are hard on themselves and that’s why their self punishment is really unrealistic sometimes.

So what would really suck the joy out of running for me is the fear that I have somehow failed to accomplish my goal and I have also failed in the public eye.

Does that make sense?

So perhaps the solution to the problem is to lose the word GOAL and start using the terms FUTURE ASPIRATIONS and MILESTONES.

This gives me some much needed wiggle room and does not make me feel like I am locked into something


On a brighter note, snow is just around the corner...whoop, whoop. Therefore, the little clown car I drive (love the horn, beep, beep) is going to get its snowshoes tomorrow...it goes in looking like this:


But I wonder if it will come back looking tlike this?




I also ended getting myself some snow shoes at a great price last night...like 1/2 price:





So, look out Snow and Ice, these Asics with carbide spikes not going to let you get in the way of my future aspirations and milestones.

Do you have troubles with your goals?

Future Aspiration for 2010 - Complete 900 miles running for the period of April 20/2010 - Dec 31/2010.

Future Aspiration for 2011 - 1 Marathon , 2 X 1/2 Marathons and 1 Duathlon, 1200 miles running

3 comments:

Quinton J said...

Nah...I don't really have problems with my goals. My goal is just basically to be bad-ass and I accomplish it daily.

And...those snow kicks look awesome. let me know how they work for you.

Patrick Mahoney said...

I used to get all aggro about it but one day I realized the rather obvious - there is always tomorrow. Plus what Q said.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

That's how those crazy runners do it!! Thanks for the tip on the shoes, but how do you breathe in -6 temps (like we are having today)?!!